Welcome all Chess-playing Owls! Chess Club is a parent-run club where our children can have fun learning chess basics, challenging friends, and preparing for the tournament season. We will again be hosting the Orchard Rook and Roll Tournament on February 22nd, 2020. We also hope to have some of our members qualify for the Washington State Chess Tournament that will be in Tacoma on May 2nd, 2020. Competing in tournaments is FUN, but not a requirement of Chess Club.
Who: Chess Club is open to all 1st-5th grade students who have an interest in playing or learning chess. Students must be able to:
- Function independently in a large group learning environment.
- Follow directions from parent volunteers.
- Be willing to have fun learning and helping others.
- Kindergarteners are welcome WITH a parent/guardian who can stay and provide for the needs of these younger players who may be tired and hungry after school.
When: Two options this year!
- Thursdays directly after school (3:15-4:00 p.m.) This is intended for first time chess players with little or no prior chess experience. The classes will run about 5 weeks. Goals for this class are to learn how to set up a chess board, name the pieces, and the basic move rules independently.
- Thursday evenings (6:00-7:00 p.m. beginning January 16th). We will have a general club for experienced players. It will be limited to 40 players and we will work on more growth and development in strategy and ability in order to prepare for tournaments.
Where: Students will line up outside of the Library. They will then be directed to either the library or art room. They are allowed to eat a small snack in the hallway before entering.
Last year was a great success! We had about 80 chess playing Owls. Our great success is dependent on parent volunteers. We will ask again that chess parents/guardians commit at least one day to the club through the season to help implement proper behavior, set up, take down, and check kids in and out. YOU DO NOT NEED TO KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CHESS, but you do need to fill out your Richland School District Volunteer form at this link richlandvolunteers.hrmplus.net.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and please join our Facebook page: Orchard Elementary Chess Club